Start planning your vSphere 6.5 migration today!
vSphere 6.5 includes a great deal of new features as well as a 6x performance increase in operations per second over vSphere 5.5. Given this sort of boost in performance and efficiency it is now time to start planning your environment upgrade. More details on the performance enhancements can be found here: https://blogs.vmware.com/performance/2017/04/vcenter-6-5-performance-what-does-6x-mean.html.
- In 5.5, vCenter was capable of approximately 10 operations per second in our testbed.
- In 6.0, vCenter was capable of approximately 30 operations per second in our testbed.
- In 6.5 vCenter can now perform more than 60 operations per second in our testbed. With faster hardware, vCenter can achieve over 70 operations per second in our testbed.
The URLs below should be reviewed and used for planning your vSphere environment upgrade:
- Important information before upgrading to vSphere 6.5 (2147548)
- Update sequence for vSphere 6.5 and its compatible VMware products (2147289)
- Migration of Update Manager from Windows to a vCenter Server Appliance 6.5
- Upgrading to vCenter Server 6.5 Best Practices (2147686)
- Supported and deprecated topologies for VMware vSphere 6.5 (2147672)
Be sure to review the vSphere Compatibility Predictor fling that is available on VMware Flings: https://labs.vmware.com/flings/future-vsphere-compatibility-predictor. This tool will scan and map out your vSphere environment and all solutions that are connected to vCenter along with your PSCs (Platform Services Controller). Once the scan is complete it will provide you with a map of your vSphere environment and will provide feedback of potential compatibility issues when upgrading to vSphere 6.5.